Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sushi NIght

My boyfriend and I have been craving sushi for weeks now. It’s such an expensive indulgence that we usually just treat ourselves for special occasions or when we have friends in town. I threw in some crab rangoon since we had the crab and cream cheese in the house already. Doesn’t really fit in with the sushi them, but eh…it was delicious.

Making the crab rangoon:

image

I was surprised at how easy these were to make. Even for a first timer like me. You just mix imitation crab and cream cheese together (we prefer more crab to cream cheese but, really, it’s just to taste), wrap it in wonton wrappers, then fry for about a minute on medium heat. It doesn’t even have to be a deep fry. I had about 1/2 an inch of oil in my pan. I just cooked until deep brown on each side.

image

I put a small amount of wasabi on the wonton wrapper prior to spooning the crab/cheese mixture for some of them. My boyfriend loves wasabi….I, however, am not a fan.

image

This is just my second time making sushi and it was a bit easier for me than the first time, but my technique can still use a lot of the work. For the sushi rice, I just followed the instructions on the bag and they were simple as well. Now, I’ve never actually been taught how to make a sushi roll. Most of my experience is eating it. I just paid a lot of attention when the sushi chefs did it. But I found this cool website that gives pretty good instructions on how to do it: http://sushiday.com/archives/2006/10/26/how-to-roll-maki-sushi/

The only thing I suggest is having a little patience. It gets frustrating and you definitely can’t do it as quickly as you would want to.

We didn’t make anything with fresh fish. Nothing raw. We used things we already had in the kitchen, imitation crab and smoked salmon, and played with a few ingredients: Sriracha, cream cheese, sesame seeds, avocado and cucumber.

image

image

image

image

image


1 comment: