Sunday, July 24, 2011

Madeleines

First of all, I have to thank my mom for sending me back from Seattle with her Madeleine pan. I’ve been dying to make some for the longest time. Then my boyfriends mom sent him home with some delicious stuff she uses for her recipes too, so, I knew it was time to make these. I found this recipe online at epicurious.com who found it in a past issue of Bon Appetit. I changed it a little bit, as I do with most recipes. These weren’t as soft as I would have liked, so, make sure not to mix the batter too much, which is what I did because I wasn’t paying attention. Also, my first batch came out a little overdone, but if you keep in eye on them, you should be able to catch them before that happens. The directions said to let them bake for 16 minutes, but mine were perfect after 11 minutes.

image

Ingredients:

2 large eggs 2/3 cup sugar 3 drops Fiori di Sicilia 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel Pinch of salt 1 cup all purpose flour 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly Powdered Sugar


Directions:

1 - Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously butter and flour pan for large madeleines (about 3 x 1 1/4 inches).* Using electric mixer, beat eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl just to blend. Beat in vanilla, lemon peel and salt. Add flour; beat just until blended. Gradually add cooled melted butter in steady stream, beating just until blended.

2 - Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each indentation in pan. Bake until puffed and brown, about 16 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Gently remove from pan. Repeat process, buttering and flouring pan before each batch. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)

3 - Dust cookies with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment