Sunday, March 11, 2012

Deep Dark Fudgy Brownies



Let me start by saying that this is probably one of the ugliest things I have ever made.  It is quite possible my decision to use a spatula instead of a knife due to pure laziness was, in fact, a bad one.  I was only able to get two somewhat nice pieces.  And, because of that, I served these in a bowl, covered with ice cream.  And, now, moving on.

I (stupidly) decided to give up sugar/carbs/dairy/fruit six days a week.  Yes...just SIX!  That means one beautifully, glorious day I get to indulge in absolutely anything I want.  However, that day was...yesterday.  Why I decided to bake these today is beyond me.  If this doesn't prove how much I enjoy baking more for others than for myself, I don't know what will.  In the words of my boyfriend, "They are a cross of soft and chewy.  They aren't overly sweet and have that nice, pure chocolate flavor without tasting sugary."  So...thumbs up.



Ingredients:

2/3 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar 
3/4 teaspoon salt 
1 cup All-Purpose Flour 
1 tablespoon espresso powder 
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips (optional) 
3 large eggs 

1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil 
2 tablespoons(1 ounce) water or brewed coffee
4 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped and melted

Directions:

1 - Preheat oven to 350*F

2 - In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars, salt, flour, espresso powder, and chips. 

3 - Add the eggs, oil, and water or coffee, mixing just until smooth. 

4 - Add melted bittersweet chocolate and mix well.

5 - Spoon the mixture into pan.  The mixture will be thick, so, you will have to spread the mixture and smooth the top.

6 - Bake the brownies for about 35 - 45 minutes.  To see if the brownies are done, remove the pan from the oven, and stick the tip of a sharp knife into the center of the brownies. Wiggle the pan around to check the consistency. You'll know the brownies are done when it isn't shiny, but still looks moist and crumby.  

7 - Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before cutting.

This recipe is from the back of my King Arthur Double-Dutch Chocolate bag.  I adjusted it ever so slightly because I didn't have semi-sweet chocolate.  If you want to see the original recipe, look HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment